News: 2008 Archived News Items
National Surface Transportation Infrastructure
Financing Commission: Interim Report
Authorized in SAFETEA-LU, the
National Surface Transportation Infrastructure Financing Commission was
charged with analyzing future highway and transit needs and the finances of
the Highway Trust Fund. The commission released an interim report on
February 1, 2008. The report highlights some initial observations including:
- Transportation system demands are outpacing required investment.
- Maintenance costs are competing with necessary expansion of the system.
- The fuel tax, which has been the key federal funding source for the system, is no longer sufficient at current rates.
- More direct user charges should be explored.
- More intelligent investment complemented by better operation of the system is required.
"The Path Forward: Funding
and Financing Our Surface Transportation System -
Interim Report of the National Surface Transportation
Infrastructure Financing Commission" (Feb. 2008)
Click on image to go to
The commission will continue
to examine existing and potential funding mechanisms, including direct user
charges and other financing options that may augment current revenues and
encourage more efficient use of system capacity before issuing a final
report at the end of 2008. The commission is accepting comments on the